Saturday, April 16, 2011

Muddy Spring Day at the Auction

This morning when I woke up it was raining. Not a mild sprinkling rain, it wasn't even thunder storming, just rain. The kind of torrential rain that God has reserved to transform the landscape and to cleanse the world of evil. The rain was steady, hard, and constant. It was accompanied by a cold 20 mph wind that made umbrella's useless. A beautiful Ohio morning. Being the fool that I am, out into the deluge I went The quarry, a farm auction.

This was a typical Ohio farm auction. Old equipment, farm antiques, piles of junk and at least 10" of mud everywhere and on everything. Possessing an exceptionally high IQ I determined that tennis shoes, T-shirt and baseball cap was the best way to dress. It didn't work out so well for me. Cold, soaking wet and covered with mud my determination unfazed, I stayed at the auction for three hours.


Three hours of being tormented. Three hours of being poked with folded umbrellas. Three hours of being crushed between people who should all be finalists for Americans Biggest Loser's next season. So why did I stay?

Simple, it was a pretty good sale. I managed to purchase a 4 piece bedroom set, an early painted corner cabinet, an Atwater Kent radio and several small items that I can sell at the Antique Mall. Overall, it was a pretty good haul.

For all of you out there really paying attention, everyone goes to auctions on pretty sunshiny days, very few on crappy, muddy rainy days. So when the weather looks bad; get up, get out and be ready to buy.

Oh yea, it was a 1/2 mile walk through a muddy field to the parking area.


1 comment: